Sunday, May 26, 2013

LT (Week 2)

I'm exhausted. Physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Who knew housekeeping could be so tiring? This is definitely a little bit different experience then running around with middle-school aged campers all day during the summer. However, I think I'm finally starting to adjust a little. 

We got to meet our project groups this week!! We've already had some pretty fun times together. I'm really looking forward to seeing where God takes our friendships this summer. 

As far as my week goes spiritually though...it has been pretty rough. 

Thursday I went hiking with a couple of friends in Rocky Mountain National Park. Once we got to the summit of the mountain, we spread out and had some time alone. After a while we got together and spent some time praying over our summers and soaking in God's beautiful creation before us. As we were praying, I got this picture: there was a really wide, long tunnel and the scene that was in front of us (the mountains) was painted like a moral around the tunnel (top, bottom, and sides). As soon as I got to the entrance, I started going through the tunnel. I went faster and faster as the tunnel grew tighter and darker. Finally, at the end in complete darkness, there was a radiant heart just sitting there. I’m not sure what this means. What I got from it was God saying, “you think the mountains are beautiful, but YOU are my magnificent creation. No mountain could surpass how beautifully I have created you.” 

For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. (Ephesians 2:10)

In this moment, I was in complete awe of God. For some reason I felt safe in the mountain. In order to hike up a mountain, one might experience pain, fear, and lack of security mixed with excitement, adrenaline, and awe. In a way, it was like the Lord was telling me that there was safety in the trials I'm going through no matter how unsure I feel in the moment. 

Later that day a couple situations sparked feelings of bitterness, pride, and even inadequacy (I know that's quite the range of emotions). It seemed that other situations only confirmed the feelings. At first the lies came quietly, but by the time I sat down in the LT worship service that night, I was at my lowest. I can honestly say, I've never felt as broken as I have that night. It was like I was backed into a corner, tied down, and beaten with lie after lie. In this moment, for the first time I experienced what it is like to be completely desperate for the Lord. I've never felt so weak in my life. Through this experience the Lord showed me a glimpse of what it means to be poor in spirit. As a result, I feel incredibly humbled in the Lord's presence. Yes, the junk I'm going through right now hurts, but I'm experiencing growing pains just like a child. 

Things the Lord has been teaching me this week: 
-poverty of spirit
-what it means to be desperate for him
-humility 


Some Pics from the Week: 
My project group's human pyramid for 
the photo scavenger hunt. 


Our awkward family photo. 

Nathan, Kyle, and I hiking Deer Mountain. 







1 comment:

  1. Housekeeping is more tiring than running around with middle schoolers? You must be crazy! Although housekeeping is tiring in its own way, I suppose. I just think middle schoolers would be more tiring - but I guess I'm also an introvert and therefore spending all day trying to entertain kids (even though I love them to death) would be more tiring than getting to spend some introvert time cleaning a bathroom, ha. ha. :P

    That was not at all the point of this comment, though...

    The joke is that LT actually stands for Lots of Trials; and, of course, true to that title, you're realizing that. It's definitely a time of growth - where God does hard things, good things, beautiful things. Amen on your revelations. :)

    I'll be praying for God to continue to move you, grow you, heal you, humble you, strengthen you.

    Enjoy the mountains for me! I miss them!

    -Ashley W. from Fellowship

    ReplyDelete